Badagars are basically agricultural people cultivating Tea, Cofee, and almost all vegetables.Our Language is "Badagu" which is a dilect of Kannada, an Indian Language.The intresting feature of Badagu language is that their is no written script , its only spoken orally among fellow Badagars.
Their has never been a clear history on Badagars origin , but many believe that we descended from Karnataka,Southern India. Our cultural aspects are very distinct from any other group. Even though we Badagars are Hindu devotees, we have a affinity to nature worshipping. Badagars live in small villages called "Hatti", each located either above a hill or in the valley of Nilagiri,Southern India. Each Village(Hatti) has an elected head known as "Gowdar" who controls and leads others in that Village(Hatti).
Badagars have certain unique aspects they are
- A typical Badagar Man wears a "Dhothi or Mundu( Long cotton wear)" ,"Dupatti(worn on shirts)" and "Kovili(turban)"
- A typical Badagar Woman wears a "Thundu", "Dhothi or Mundu" and a Shawl
- Badagar dances during Wedings, Birth anniversaries, Funerals etc.,
- Have a unique style of dancing which involes bending up and down , dancing in groups.
- Music mainly consits of hard beats.